Despite my love for Bear Naked granola, it is super expensive and we eat it very quickly. So I wanted to make some that was equally yummy but could be made in big batches and came with the wholesome feeling of being homemade. I found this recipe from none other than Alton Brown. I adapted it a little and now it goes like this:
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F.
- Mix 6 cups of rolled oats, 2 cups of slivered almonds, 2 cups of cashews and 1.5 cups of shredded sweet coconut together.
- Mix 0.5 cups of dark brown sugar, 0.25 cups of maple syrup (only the best Canadian #1 Light A grade will do), 0.25 cups of vegetable oil and 0.75 teaspoons of salt.
- Combine both mixtures together and pour onto baking sheets.
- Cook for 1 hour and 15 minutes – stirring every 15 minutes to achieve an even color.
- Remove from the oven and transfer into a large bowl.
- Add raisins and mix until evenly distributed.
- Wait until cold and store.
I eat with cold creamy milk!